Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Now class, Today's word is:

Even though it is against the law for my partner and me to get married, we sometimes act like an old married couple anyway. You know, just to flaunt the law. One of the radical, old married things we enjoy doing is learning a new word every day. (Though in reality it ends up being two or three times a week).

Certain words, in spite of having learned them before, never seem to stick in my brain. I could, for example, look up Nonplussed every day of the week and still have doubts as to its meaning. Nonplussed is something which causes you to be at a loss as to what to say. (I know that because I just looked it up--again).

So even though my partner is at work--and I'm doing whatever it is that I do--I thought how about a word of the day!

Today's word is Carpetbagger!

According to Merriam-Webster a carpetbagger is an OUTSIDER; especially a nonresident or new resident who seeks private gain from an area often by meddling in its business or politics.

Huh. Good to know. Let's see if we can use it in a sentence, shall we?

"By attempting to bulldoze his way into New York State politics, Harold Ford, Jr is acting very much like a carpetbagger.

Now I'm not going to blame Harold Ford, Jr for wanting to move from Tennessee to New York. I mean that's kind of a no brainer. Right? I can forgive that.

But here are some fun facts I'm not so willing to forgive:

He twice voted for Bush's Anti-Gay federal marriage amendment.

He voted against The Employment Non-Discrimination Act

Apparently he also voted against gay adoptions in Washington DC.

And my personal favorite, he voted against Hate Crimes prevention, because really who cares if you're only killing minorities.

Wow.

I don't think I'm going to vote for him because his past record is. Well... Umn...

His past voting record has left me completely nonplussed.

Perhaps by the time I arrive this evening at the LGBT center on 13th street at 6:00, I will have thought of something to say. And will therefore no longer be nonplussed.

That does not, however, mean that I'll be plussed.

3 comments:

NYC News & Analysis said...

Great post. I've linked to your blog from 2 of my blogs.

Michael's Thought said...

Awesome! I'm linking you over on my site also. MT

Anonymous said...

Not to get too pick-and-choosy old testament, but we know the tree by its fruit.