Wednesday, November 5, 2008

victory


Today, everywhere I look I see smiling faces on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. Last night history was made with the election of Barack Obama. I heard the cheering crowds, and I joined them. Hope renewed.

This morning I awoke to discover that same-sex marriage bans had passed in Florida and Arizona. Arkansas passed legislation keeping gays from adopting.  And proposition hate (I mean, 8) will likely pass.

How is it that all of these Americans excited by the prospect of change do not want change for gays and lesbians?

Today is a joyous day. But it is also for me terribly bittersweet.  Our journey will be long, our road filled with obstacles, we must persevere. We must fight. For CHANGE is for all of us.

I urge you all to say how thrilled you are about the results of this presidential election. And then add the But.... But I am saddened, frustrated, recommitted to the cause of equality.

We have seen a black man become president in our life times.  I don't believe we will see an openly gay or lesbian president in my lifetime. It certainly can't happen until we have equal rights.  If we can't serve in the military, If we can not marry, we can not lead our country.

Please, if you have not already, join me in boycotting federally recognized marriage until every US citizen can wed.

No comments: