Friday, November 7, 2008

No More Mr. Nice Gay


Something dramatic has shifted in the mood of gays & lesbians I've been in contact with. It started Wednesday, after the euphoria of the Obama election started passing and the realization that we had somehow taken two steps forward and three back. We, as a group, have found our anger and our voice. Because, this wasn't the CHANGE we were hoping for. The promise of change was not supposed to strip us of rights. The promise of change was not supposed to be just for some.  The WE, of Yes we Can, was supposed to include me, too.

And so we must respond. And protesting has begun.  I am, and most people I know are thrilled by the prospect of an Obama white house. That does not mean we shut up about the injustices of Tuesday.

I urge everyone who supports equality to start making some noise. Take to the streets, write a letter, skip a wedding. Do something.

Today I received a note from a man in California who moved there from NY 6 months ago to marry his partner.  I can not begin to imagine the pain he must be feeling now.  From his sadness, I imagine will come anger, from anger the conviction to fight.  It's a feeling so many of us have now.

On facebook where I have my group The Marrying Kind, several hundred people have joined since Wednesday night. They in turn have invited their friends.  Several other protest groups have formed.

This election was joyous but also shined a harsh light on the reality of life for gays and lesbians in America.  Something has shifted. I don't think we will be complacent any longer.

You see, we heard the message. Followed the man's call. Supported, fought and believed.

WE STILL BELIEVE:  CHANGE

Yes, we can.


No comments: