Monday, March 8, 2010

What if we Were a Mouse Click Away From Equality?

For awhile now I've been thinking the LGBT marriage equality movement needs a poster couple.

Clearly, as the author of "The Marrying Kind," an obvious choice would be me (and my partner, of course). But to be honest, while there are several organizations for which I think I'd make an excellent poster child, poster couple not so sure about.

Let me just say it: I don't have great hair. I do have sensational teeth. But on the other hand, my jaw line... a little weak. I couldn't possibly spend every minute of my day avoiding being photographed in profile--that would be exhausting.

So that leaves me with the difficult task of anointing another couple.

Before you say Ellen & Portia or that "Star Trek" guy, let me stop you. I'm thinking, let's go another way. Let's eschew celebrity, shall we?

I've found another couple and they're perfect for our cause.

They're named Gregory Jones and Jonathan Howard. These boys are so cute: great hair, strong jaws. The teeth, probably not as good as mine. But two out of three. Oh and they are smart and funny and madly in love with each other.

But here is why we all really need them: They have entered the Crate and Barrel Ultimate Wedding Contest and they have a good shot of winning. They are in second place behind a straight couple.

Now, as all my friends know, I love the straights. Really. And I know there is no way of saying "I love straight people" without sounding like you don't.

I really do.

But, I think we can all agree that straight people don't really need more societal support with regard to the recognition of their relationships.

The LGBTs on the other hand...

See this is why they must win:

Can you imagine the press, the outrage, the rejoicing (I'm guessing that outrage and rejoicing will be coming from two different sets of people).

Picture this for a minute: It's three weeks from now. All over the country folks are picking up their local papers and reading stories about the two gay guys who won the Ultimate Wedding Contest. All over America people will be talking about gay marriage.

Not just Gregory and Jonathan's.

But mine, too.

Yours too, if you're queer. (Though I know many of you reading this are straight. Because lots of straight people are supportive. And lots of straight folks read my blog, because they know I love the straights).

But I've digressed.

How do you and I make this dream-- the one where everyone in America is talking about equality--a reality?

It's so simple!!!!!!!

Easy.

No effort.

You go to the link I'm posting below and you vote.

Then you invite your friends to do the same.

Honestly, Can we not get a few hundred thousand people to do this? To assure that Jonathan and Gregory (and honestly, all of us) win!

This is publicity for our cause we don't have to pay for.

FREE.

I'm so sick of segregated marriage. It's about time Crate and Barrel joined the fight!

And the best part? It's so much fun being an activist when it only takes two minutes to accomplish your goal.

VOTE!!!

Here's what I did because I'm a creative type. I invited 1138 of my friends to vote for Jonathan & Gregory. That's one friend for every right I am currently denied by the federal government.

And each friend who clicks the link gets me closer to my goal. Gets you closer. Gets all of us closer to the kind of world we want to live in.

A world where segregated marriage is no longer acceptable.

A world where marriage equality exists.

As far as I can see, the only real question remaining is do we call them Gregathan or Jonory?

I think Jonory. But on this point I'm willing to be flexible.

http://www.ultimateweddingcontest.com/entries/22682

No comments: