Wednesday, December 31, 2008

It's called Segregation


I've gotten a bunch of notes from people is response to the holiday message I sent to members of The Marrying Kind group on Facebook, so I decided to post it here: Hope it inspires you.

I wish you all health, peace, and happiness. What I especially wish and pray for is that we will all have equality in our life times.

Several years ago, I stopped saying that I support same-sex marriage rights and I started saying that I support the end of marriage segregation. Many people would rather not think of marriage in terms of segregation. But of course that's what it is in the United States and many other countries around the world. 

Whether or not one supports same-sex marriage has been allowed to become a philosophical debate. Somehow, whether or not one supports gay marriage has no impact on a person's character. How did that happen? Our beloved, and respected ( I respect him, too) President-Elect does not support gay marriage rights. This is an acceptable position even among many liberals.

However what happens if we change the language? President-elect Obama (And more that half the country) support segregation. That somehow feels less acceptable, doesn't it?

Framing marriage-rights in terms of segregation is honest and explains the rage so many of us who support the end of marriage segregation feel.

My guess is that you would not have joined The Marrying Kind if you didn't believe segregation was wrong. I credit my parents for instilling this belief in me. I don't go to weddings because it sends the message that I support segregation. And I do not.

I ask that you will all talk to others about marriage in terms of segregation. Tell your friends how that makes you feel.

Oh, and since it's Christmas time, I'm wondering if you'd all play Santa for me and get some of your anti-segregationist friends of yours to join The Marrying Kind. If you can't invite everyone, even two or three new members from each of you would be a delight!

Again, my best wishes for the season

Ken O'Neill

http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=20197089649&ref=mf

No comments: