Thursday, December 18, 2008

God Help Us


Once again I'm feeling that gays are dispensable. That our rights don't matter. That we, as a segment of the U.S. population, are insignificant.  I don't want to feel this way.

What's got me riled this morning?

The news that President-elect Obama has chosen Rick Warren to deliver the invocation at his inauguration.  Rick Warren who worked to get Prop 8 passed in California.

Feeling the need to deliver an olive branch to Christian conservatives, Obama has slapped gays in the face.  The message is clear: We don't matter.

I urge you all to let your voices be heard. Tell President-elect Obama that you are troubled by his selection.

You can write him here:  http://change.gov/page/content/contact/webloc

Below is the letter I just wrote:

Dear President-elect Obama,

I'm honored to have had the privilege of voting for you. And I truly believe you are our nation's best hope. Your intellect and demeanor are exactly what are required as we enter this extremely difficult chapter in our history. I wish you the best.

I must say, however, that I am deeply troubled by your choice to include Rick Warren as a part of your inauguration . This man actively worked to see that Prop 8 passed in California. At a time when so many in the GLBT community feel that the promise of change that your candidacy brought was delivered to all Americans except gays, this choice reinforces that troubling feeling.

Sir, when you were born your own parents could not have wed in every US state. That marriage segregation was wrong. The exclusion of gays and lesbians from this most basic of rights is equally wrong.

I understand that you do not support the end of marriage segregation. I knew this when I voted for you. And though I strongly disagree with you on this point, my respect for you, and my support of so many of your other positions inspired me to work for your campaign.

I am asking, as a supporter of yours, and as a gay American, for you to reconsider having someone as divisive as Rick Warren speak at your inauguration.

Please.

Because there should be no place for segregation in the United States.

Respectfully,

Ken O'Neill



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very well said. Thank you.

Ken O'Neill said...

You're very welcome.